Despite these warm temperatures we've been enjoying, winter weather will be here soon. Unfortunately, with freezing temperatures come busted pipes…and costly damage. Find out how to take preventative action to protect your pipes in the cold weather!
- Allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing by opening kitchen and bathroom doors.
- Keep garage doors closed. This will prevent exposing water supply lines to freezing temperatures.
- Keep your thermostat temperature consistent. If you turn it down at night, you could risk freezing (and bursting) pipes.
- Let cold water drip from the faucet when the weather is cold outside. Running water through the pipes help prevent them from freezing. Just a slow trickle will do.
- If you are going on an extended trip away from your home, leave the heat on (set no lower than 55° F).
- Add insulation to attics and crawls spaces to maintain higher temperatures in these areas.
- If there is a remodel in your home's near future, consider relocating exposed pipes. This will increase the protection from freezing.